Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Strike a Pose

There was recently post by Paul Petrone on LinkedIn titled The Pose Every Recruiter Should Strike to Start the Day. This was a great article and even if you aren’t a recruiter, I recommend you go to his LinkedIn profile and read his post.  While he wrote the article to recruiters it is a lesson that every candidate, every person can use to bolster their confidence before a meeting or interview.  In fact, anyone faced with one of those meeting that gives us that moment of pause, is worthy of this action.
I use this “Superhero Pose” technique in my Interviewing Skills classes that I teach.  I tell my candidates to take a minute.  Perhaps you slip into the restroom before your meeting or interview and strike your favorite superhero pose; put your hands on your hips, thrust your chest and chin out and survey your domain before you.  Try it and you will see that it really works.

Brian Tracy, a well-known motivational speaker uses a different variation on this.  He suggests that you look yourself in the mirror, put your best smile on your face and repeat out loud, over and over again “I like myself, I like myself, I like myself”.  I use this in my class as well.  I have the students turn to each other and do this exercise. 

So, turn this around.  Imagine that you are in your office preparing a customer meeting. You are putting the final touches on your presentation.  You are pumped!  This is a really big deal!  Your boss walks into your office to pump-you-up.  He asks; Are you ready?!  Don’t blow this presentation!  We desperately need this account, and storms back out of your office.  You are instantly filled with dread.  Why?  The opposite effect just happened because your brain is visualizing your failing and is flooding bad chemicals through your body.  Now imagine this same scenario but this time your boss storms into your office and says; You got this buddy!  You are the man! You are going to knock ‘em dead today!  I’ve got your back, and storms out of your office.  Now you have those positive affirmations and your body is awash in positive chemicals.

Why do these techniques work?  Simply because these actions (the positive ones) stimulate your brain to release positive chemicals into your body and you simply feel better; more confident; happier. Try these things and see if they work for you.  Come on! You know you want to go into the restroom and give it a try…

David (Mac) McElhaney
Managing Partner
Global Recruiters of Huntsville
102 Clinton Ave, West
Suite 201
Huntsville, AL 35801
Phone: 256-533-1444 Ext 201
Fax: 256-418-4485
Mobile: 407-341-4462

No comments:

Post a Comment